February 16, 2011

For a job well done...

I have been experiencing a bit of writers block lately and really didn't have anything interesting to say over the past few weeks.

However, last week I started thinking about something that I decided was a topic I wanted to explore a bit more.

I don't know how many times I have thought that someone did something really well and rather than tell them, I kept it to myself. Why?

This could be anyone. Ranging from the checker at the grocery store, to the person working out next to me, to my own child.
I have been trying to come up with good reasons to withhold true compliments or praise...and guess what?

I couldn't come up with any.

Now, I am not talking flattery. False compliments serve no purpose and are patronizing, in my opinion. You can find good, noteworthy things about almost anyone, without making crap up.

So here are a few of the excuses I conjured up:

"I am sure they already know that they are doing a good job, why make them cocky?"

That is pretty selfish of me, right? I mean, how do I know what goes on in their head, and more importantly, why does that matter? Do I really think my opinion is so valuable that someone is going to let it go to their head. And what if they do? Not. My. Business. They still deserve to know that I think they "rocked"!

Telling someone that you admire them, are proud of them, or even admitting you are just a touch jealous, is not going to hurt you. For all you know it may mean the world to them, and even if it doesn't, it won't kill you.

Another lame excuse I came up with was:

"They are doing what they SHOULD be doing, they don't deserve a medal"

Again, says who? I am not talking about celebrating mediocrity, but appreciating someone for doing what they should.

For example, a few nights ago I was watching TV and there was a father on talking about paying child support. I can't remember the entire context but it was just that he needed to make sure he paid his child support on time. Part of me wanted to say "Congrat-a-frickin-lations, you help support YOUR kids!" But as I thought about it, I realized how many parents don't. How many parents choose to walk away?

I am not thinking that this guy deserves the Nobel Peace Prize, but his efforts should be appreciated. He is taking responsibility in a society that often doesn't.

From the perspective of a mother, I can't count how many times I have just wanted to feel appreciated. It feels so good to have someone say "Thanks" or "Good Job" - even when it is "part of the job description".

The last reason I came up with is just plain laziness.

Maybe I am having a bad day and want to bring the world down with me. Maybe, I just think I will tell them later, call the store later, text someone later and it doesn't get done. I don't know...

What I do know is that NOW is time to seize the moment, not later. Offering praise to someone can only be positive and it is time I bring a little more positive reinforcement to the world.

2 comments:

  1. Good points....I slso think it make sus feel vulnerable too. Also a lame excuse. But a lot of people "fish for compliments" by giving them. Which I despise. However, everyone needs validation and I think sometimes by pointing out what others are doing well we feel like we aren't measuring up. So dumb, but again, we do it. Fun to see you the other day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin- It was fun to see you and your darling girls with cute hair and cute little girl clothes and cute little girl shoes...sigh! Ha Ha! I may need to do a post about "daughter envy". Such a good point about feeling like you expose your own weakness when you point out others strengths...Isn't it funny how focusing on what someone else is doing wrong can make us feel better about ourselves. Tragic but true!

    ReplyDelete